Modern Languages within Sacred Heart College enables pupils to learn French and Irish for the purpose of effective communication and to provide them with competence in the language suitable for further study, work and leisure.
- Mrs P McAnea (Head of Department)
- Mrs E Clarke
- Mrs K McGee
- Mrs S Loughran
Aims of Department
- To develop a growing awareness of another culture and to give the pupils the opportunity to compare and understand the differences and similarities with their own culture and ultimately to enable them to view their own value system in a more dispassionate way.
- To help the pupils understand the nature of language learning and develop an awareness of their mother tongue.
- To provide enjoyment and intellectual stimulation as well as a sense of achievement and purpose to express their own opinions and talk about their own experiences and interests in a different language.
- To encourage pupils to be responsible for their own learning and encourage them to evaluate their own progress.
- To develop general, transferable learning skills.
Assessment at Key Stage 3
- Year 8 -10, pupils choose to follow either French or Irish for three periods per week.
- Year 10, pupils will have a choice to continue with a Modern Language for GCSE.
Assessment at Key Stage 4
- All pupils follow the CCEA GCSE qualification
Pupils are assessed in the four communication skills;
- Listening = 20%
- Speaking = 30%
- Reading = 20%
- Writing = 30%
Click on the link below to access the schemes of work area which includes several videos for: