We hope to make the transfer from primary to post primary education as smooth as possible for pupils and their parents.
In Sacred Heart College we continue to develop our relationships with our feeder Primary Schools as we are aware, that for many, the thought of transferring can be daunting. By taking the following steps, we hope that pupils will be reassured that we understand, and will do all we can to make sure that when September arrives, they will be able to make a confident start in their new school, with most of their questions answered.
Outlined below is a timeline of how we, at Sacred Heart College worked in partnership with Primary Schools during 2014/2015 and the on-going link with parents and pupils throughout the year.
Steps To Transfer
June 2014 - All Primary 6 students and their teachers are invited to take part in a football blitz in Healy Park, Omagh
- October 2014 - P6 and P7 students and parents are invited to an Information Evening.
- December 2014 - Taster Day: Primary 7 students are invited to the college to participate in a range of subjects and meet many of the staff on the day.
- January 2015 - Open Day: All parents and students spend a morning in the College. Sacred Heart students talk about life in the College and demonstrate the positive relationships with each other and all the staff in the school community.
- February 2015 - Sacred Heart College staff and past pupils visit the Primary Schools and answer any questions from the students.
- February 2015 - Apply for admission to Sacred Heart College
- May 2015 - Recieve offer of a place at Sacred Heart College.
- June 2015 - Primary Schools staff are invited to inform the College of all information that will help each student settle and progress.
- June 2015 - New students spend 2 days in the College where they are assessed and get the opportunity to meet other students during a period of fun activities.
- June 2015 - Registration Day: All parents and new students visit the College. They are addressed by the Head of Year 8 and have an opportunity to meet the School Nurse, Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator and the Head of Languages.
- August 2015 - Summer Scheme: All Year 8 students are invited to a week of team building activities.
- September 2015 - Student Induction: All new Year 8 students spend a day with their new Form Teacher and become familiar with the College routines.
- October 2015 - Parent Induction Meeting: A settling in meeting and Mass for all Year 8 students and their parents. Monthly Assembly: the Year 8 students participate in the first Spiritual Assembly of the School Year. This is led by a Form Class with support from their Form Teachers. The first Reward Ceremony of Year rewards many students for their endeavour, attendance and co-operation with prizes sponsored by the local community.
- October/November 2015 - Team Building: A Year 8 identity is encouraged with a range of events planned. These include;
- Moving On workshops, a trip to the Folk Park for Year 8s and also a Year 8 Talent Show. The buddies who have supported the students from day one help the students plan for their talent show. The Year 8 students also join the entire school community for the trip to the cinema at the end of term.
- February 2016 - Year 8 Academic Meeting: All parents are encouraged to attend and meet all their child's teachers. A detailed account of their progress to date will be provided at this meeting.